Township in Kirkby Stephen parish, East ward, Westmorland.
5,110 acres [2,068 ha]. Moorland boundary between Winton, Kaber and Muker (Yorks. North Riding) finally determined 1911 and moorland in Winton and Kaber regulated 1915.
around 250 across 19th century, inflated to 358 in 1841 by 136 residents of boarding academies, and to 301 in 1861 as result of railway construction. Declined to low point of 166 in 1971, rising again to stand at 213 in 2001.
part of manor of Brough (q.v.).
predominantly agricultural; limestone quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century. Coal pits on Green Fell, disused by 1850s. Iron mining in 1870s (short-lived).
Places of worship:
Baptist chapel built 1837 or 1842; rebuilt 1863; now Winton United Baptist Church; ecumenical union with Methodists since 1989. Wesleyan Methodist mission room opened 1895.
Schools and other institutions:
school built by subscription 1659 and endowed 1681; rebuilt 1862; closed 1977 and converted to holiday accommodation. Boarding academies at Winton Hall (ladies’ school) and Manor House, mid-19th century. Village hall.
Submitted by Ann Sandell
Transcription of Kirkby Stephen Parish Registers: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~enzedders/
History and historical sources for the Eden Valley: http://www.edenlinks.co.uk/EDENLINKS.HTM