Township in Brigham parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Blindbothel CP 1934.
1,747 acres [699 ha], including 817 acres [330 ha] of common land on Whin Fell, enclosed 1826.
rising from 84 in 1801 to peak of 132 by 1841; then declined to stand at 71 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
part of honour of Cockermouth. Ownership divided from c.1260 when Alice de Lucy gave moiety of Whinfell to her son John de Lucy; that share was held by Allan Pearson of Bridekirk in early 19th century. Other moiety descended with honour of Cockermouth (q.v.), being one of group of manors in hands of Wharton family 1530 to 1739.
predominantly agricultural. Iron smelting in later 12th century (Holm Cultram abbey granted leave to erect bloomery at Whinfell). Woollen textiles: fulling mill recorded c.1282.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: