Underbarrow & Bradleyfield
Chapelry and township in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland.
Acreage: 5,122 acres (2,073 ha) before boundary changes (79 acres [32 ha] were lost to Kendal 1935 and 67 acres [27 ha] to Crook 1951). Common land (2,145 acres [868 ha]) enclosed 1828.
Population: rising from 376 in 1801 to peak at 526 in 1831; then falling back to 405 by 1901 and to 387 in 1931 (last census year before boundary changes).
Landownership: manor of Cunswick granted to Henry de Alneto late 12th century, passing by marriage to Leyburne family in 14th century and descending in that family until forfeited to Crown on attainder of John Leyburne 1715. Subsequently purchased by Thomas Crowle; then sold to Sir James Lowther in 1750s, from whom it descended to earls of Lonsdale. Other lands in township held of barony of Kendal.
Economy: predominantly agricultural. Limestone quarrying and lime-burning. Bobbin mill at Grigghall; tannery at Tullythwaite in 19th century.
Places of worship: chapel of ease, recorded 1547; rebuilt 1708; replaced by new church of All Saints, built 1869 on old foundations. Methodist chapel recorded 1860.
Schools and other institutions: school built 1859; enlarged 1875 and 1880; closed c.1985 and converted to dwelling. Institute built c.1902; still in use as village hall.