CP in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland, created 1897 from part of township of Scalthwaiterigg, Hay & Hutton-in-the-Hay. For remainder of former township, see New Hutton.
Acreage: CP contained 1,242 acres [503 ha] before loss of territory (c.200 acres [c.80 ha]) to Kendal 1919 and 1935. Former township of Scalthwaiterigg, Hay & Hutton-in-the-Hay contained 3,434 acres [1,390 ha]. Common land at Mint’s Feet (105 acres [42 ha]) enclosed 1815.
Population: township population rising throughout 19th century from 250 in 1801 to 653 in 1891 (last census year before boundary changes). Scalthwaiterigg CP contained 585 inhabitants in 1911, most in built-up area on edge of Kendal; after loss of those areas to Kendal, remaining population fell from 182 in 1921 to low of 81 in 1971; stood at 104 in 2001.
Landownership: part of Marquis fee of barony of Kendal (q.v.).
Economy: farming; industrial colony at Mealbank since 18th century: fulling mill and woollen manufacture from 1748; Braithwaite & Co. woollen mill from 1830s; closed 1966. Snuff manufacture (Samuel Gawith & Co.) from 1792 to 1921. Oil mill (extracting oil from mill waste) late 19th/early 20th century. Industrial estate on site of former mills.
Places of worship: hospital of St Leonard (site now Spital Farm) founded early 13th century; dissolved at Reformation.
Schools and other institutions: school established at Mealbank 1846 by F. & C. Braithwaite for children of workers at their woollen mill; rebuilt 1868 with reading room and library; later known as Scalthwaiterigg Mealbank Council School; closed mid-20th century and converted to housing.