Township in Newton Reigny parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Catterlen CP 1934
1,013 acres [417 ha]; including 141 acres [58 ha] of commons, enclosed 1819.
rising from 128 in 1801 to 151 by 1831; then fluctuating in range 150-175 across rest of 19th and early 20th century; stood at 168 in 1931 (last census pulation:year for which separate figure available).
manor of Newton Reigny held by Reigny family in 12th and 13th centuries but in hands of Robert Burnell, bishop of Bath, by later 13th century; sold by Burnell to Hugh de Lowther 1290 and descended through Lowther family to earls of Lonsdale.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St John (roof dated 1585); rebuilt 1876.
Schools and other institutions:
parish school was in Catterlen township (q.v.). Agricultural college at Newton Rigg established 1896 as Cumberland and Westmorland Dairy School and Farm; school of forestry added 1960s. Merged with University of Central Lancashire in 1990s; then University of Cumbria 2007; from 2011 part of Askham Bryan College. Village hall (Nichol Memorial Hall, in memory of F. G. Nichol, rector of Newton Reigny) built 1912.