CP in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland, created 1897 by combining New Hutton township with Hay and Hutton-in-the-Hay areas of Scalthwaiterigg CP.
new CP contained 4,759 acres [1,926 ha]; township of New Hutton had contained 2,591 acres [1,048 ha], including 1,280 acres [518 ha] of common land enclosed 1848.
New Hutton township stood in range 120-160 across 19th century (peak 172 in 1831). After 1897 boundary change, population of New Hutton CP was 234 in 1901; then fell to 201 in 1971 before rising to stand at 313 in 2001.
part of Richmond Fee of barony of Kendal (q.v.).
predominantly agricultural. Killington reservoir, partly in township, built 1819 to supply water to Kendal-Lancaster canal. Fisher Tarn reservoir built 1899 to supply water to Kendal. Modern developments include industrial estate at Hill Top and caravan park.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease erected 1739; rebuilt as St Stephen’s church 1828-9.
Schools and other institutions:
school built 1778; rebuilt c.1830 and again c.1873; closed 1946. Private preparatory school at Hill Top (Holme Park School) opened 1957; closed 2005. New Hutton Institute (village hall) opened c.1928.