Ancient parish in East ward, Westmorland, including townships of Long Marton, Brampton and Knock.
6,947 acres [2,811 ha], distributed between constituent townships thus: Long Marton: 1,757 acres [711 ha]; Brampton: 1,628 acres [659 ha]; Knock: 3,562 acres [1,442 ha]. Brampton Common enclosed 1772; commons in Long Marton (c.500 acres [c.200 ha]) and stinted pasture called Marton Park (c.500 acres [c.200 ha]) enclosed 1809; Knock Common (3,181 acres [1,287 ha]) enclosed 1823.
rising from under 600 in early 19th century to lie in range 750-820 from 1830s to 1871; fell back to 585 by 1901; in range 600-700 across 20th century; stood at 704 in 2001.
manor of Marton held by Veteriponts in 13th century, passing to Cliffords, then to Holland family. Held by Gray family in 15th century but in Crown hands by 1526-7; subsequently passed to Lowthers. Manor of Brampton: held by barons of Greystoke (q.v.) from early 14th century until 1422, when it passed to Lancaster family. Divided between three co-heiresses in 16th century; one third subsequently acquired by earl of Thanet; remainder sold to tenants. Manor of Knock Shalcock: held by Boyville family in 14th century, later passing to Rookby, Soulby and Lancaster families before coming to lords of barony of Appleby (q.v.) by 19th century.
Long Marton and Brampton townships predominantly agricultural. Lead mining in Knock township from 17th century; smelt mill by Knock Ore Gill from before 1739 to c.1785. Quarrying and lime-burning on Knock Fell 19th century. Tourism from later 20th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Margaret and St James; restored 1880. Anglican services held at Knock school in 1880s. Mission room built 1906. Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Long Marton (built 1818; no longer in use), Espland Hill, Brampton (built 1834; rebuilt 1866; closed by 1998) and Knock (built 1840; rebuilt 1873).
Schools and other institutions:
parish school near church endowed 1824; built by subscription 1833; enlarged 1900; replaced by modern building in village; now Long Marton Community School. School in Knock recorded 1885. Former railway station used by North Salford High School, Manchester, as centre for school holiday outings in 1980s; sold 1993. Library established 1858. Long Marton Parish Institute built 1893-4; still in use as village hall. Brampton Institute and Parish Reading Room built 1922.