Township in Holme Cultram parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland, including Silloth (q.v.), which became separate CP 1934.
6,160 acres [2,493 ha], including 156 acres [63 ha] in small detached portions, before boundary changes. Adjacent to township’s lands, which were protected by medieval sea dyke, lay Skinburness Marsh (1,178 acres [477 ha]), common grazing to townships of Holme Low, Holme Abbey and Holme St Cuthbert, which remains common land. Other commons enclosed under Holme Cultram enclosure award 1814.
637 in 1801, rising to c.950 in mid-19th century. Growth of Silloth led to rapid population increase, to reach 3,590 in 1921. After separation of Silloth CP 1934, population of remaining rural areas of Holme Low stood at c. 350 through to 2001.
part of Holme Cultram lordship (see Holme Abbey).
predominantly agricultural. Holme Cultram abbey attempted to found borough at Skinburness in 1301 but it had been washed away by sea by 1305. It remained fishing village and minor harbour with ferry to Annan from 1787 (daily boat service still in operation 1829). Tourism (caravan parks) and light industry in later 20th century, based on hangars at disused Silloth Airfield.
Places of worship:
supposed site of medieval chapel near Grune Point. St Paul’s church (Anglican) at Causewayhead, built 1845.
Schools and other institutions:
Greenrow Academy, a large boarding academy, established 1780; closed 1871. School on crossroads at Causewayhead by 1866; replaced by Board school (Colt Park School) nearby, erected 1875; closed and converted to dwelling. Sunday school with attached reading room and library built 1890s; closed and converted to housing. Silloth Airfield, base for training bomber crews and for aircraft maintenance, opened 1939; closed 1960; later used for private aircraft.