Extra-parochial area of upland waste with status of hunting forest (King’s Forest of Geltsdale) in Eskdale ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Castle Carrock CP 2003.
5,245 acres [2123 ha].
18 in 1851 (first year for which figures available); 26 in 1891, then declining to a mere 6 in 2001.
granted to Lanercost Priory by Vaux family of Hayton, Geltsdale and Tryermaine; after Dissolution passed to earl of Carlisle.
hill grazing; woodland (birch and alder) and red deer; since 1975 has been RSPB reserve.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: