Ancient parish in Eskdale ward, Cumberland, comprising townships of East Farlam and West Farlam.
5,232 acres (2,117 ha), of which East Farlam contained 4,012 acres (1,624 ha) and West Farlam 1,220 acres (494 ha). After 1883 Farlam CP also included Carnetley (78 acres [32 ha]), formerly a detached portion of Lanercost parish. Farlam commons (2,300 acres [931 ha]) enclosed 1780.
estimated at 260 in 1688; rising from 592 in 1801 to 1,585 in 1881 as result of industrial activity; dropped back to 1,365 by 1901, then declined across 20th century to 590 in 2001.
manor of Farlam held by Windsor family in 12th century; direct lordship appears to have been with Farlam family (probably under-tenants of Windsors), through whom manor descended to 14th century, when John de Farlam, having no issue, granted it to Ranulph de Dacre, after which it descended with barony of Gilsland (see Brampton).
coal mining; quarrying and lime-burning. Colliery at Windgates, near Templegarth, recorded 1688; wooden waggonway built 1799 to link earl of Carlisle’s mines on Tindale Fell to Brampton coal staithe; replaced by new railway 1836; closed 1953. Main centres of industrial activity included Kirkhouse (coke ovens; iron foundry in 19th century, superseded by brick works in 20th century); Clowsgill (limestone quarries and lime works; had closed by 1900); and Roachburn (colliery from 1860s to 1912).
Places of worship:
medieval parish church at Kirkhouse; rebuilt as church of St Thomas à Becket on adjacent site 1859-60. Wesleyan Methodists met in private houses until chapels built at Hallbankgate (built 1856; enlarged 1883; closed and converted to dwelling) and Doleshole, near Tindale, (built 1870, rebuilt 1888; closed).
Schools and other institutions:
curate taught school in church 1703; three schools (two of them dame schools) recorded 1816. School at Hallbankgate (now Hallbankgate Village School) had been built by 1863. School at Doleshole, for Tindale spelter works (see Midgeholme), built 1860; now demolished. Mechanics’ Institute and Library at Hallbankgate built 1857. Village hall (Lacy Thompson Memorial Hall) built 1898; extended 1995 and 2000. Reading room at Doleshole, Tindale, built 1868, moved into former Methodist chapel 1888. Church hall erected at Kirkhouse 1928.