Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Langwathby CP 1934.
3,429 acres [1,388 ha].
estimated at 265 in 1688. Rose from 148 in 1801 to 315 in 1851, then declined to 216 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Edenhall was granted to Peter de Brus in 12th century; held by Turp family in 13th century, passing to Stapleton family by marriage in early 14th century and to Musgrave family by marriage of Joan Stapleton to Thomas Musgrave in 15th century. Descended through Musgraves until sold by Sir Richard George Musgrave (d. 1926). Eden Hall, rebuilt 1821, was demolished 1934.
predominantly agricultural; fishery in River Eden noted in later 17th century. Quarrying (recorded in name Slatequarry Wood) and gravel digging. Brickworks in 20th century; closed and sold 2012 to become transport depot.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Cuthbert (living held jointly with Langwathby since 1380s); enlarged and restored 1834.
Schools and other institutions:
school endowed 1771; new school built by Sir Philip Musgrave 1815; closed 1937. ‘Female free school’, supported by Lady Musgrave, recorded 1847.