Ancient parish in Eskdale ward, Cumberland, containing townships of Cumwhitton and Northsceugh with Moorthwaite.
5,824 acres [2,357 ha], divided between townships thus: Cumwhitton: 2,579 acres [1,044 ha]; Northsceugh with Moorthwaite: 3,245 acres [1,313 ha]. Common moorland at King Harry (c.6,000 acres [2,428 ha] in total, shared between Cumwhitton and Cumrew) enclosed 1801. Small common field at Moorthwaite (35 acres [14 ha]) enclosed 1832.
estimated at 310 in 1688; rising from 446 in 1801 to peak of 579 in 1831, then downward trend to 293 by 2001.
granted by Bavin family to Lanercost Priory c.1200; after Dissolution passed Howard family and thus to earls of Carlisle.
predominantly agricultural; some sandstone quarrying in 19th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Mary; rebuilt in 18th century but retaining older masonry. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1891; now closed and converted to dwelling.
Schools and other institutions:
unendowed school built c.1819. Parish school at Sandy Syke endowed 1830s by Adam Hodgson; replaced by Board school at Piper’s Stile, built 1876; closed c.1970. Public hall and reading room (now village hall) built 1901.