Township in Bromfield parish, Cumberland ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Bromfield CP 1934.
1,778 acres [720 ha], including c.400 acres [c.162 ha] of common, enclosed 1848.
rising from 167 in 1801 to stand at around 220 from 1821 to 1861, before declining to 139 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
one of townships held of barony of Wigton. Granted by Crown to Sir Richard Cholmley during reign of Henry VII; held by Anthony Barwis 1578. Later came to Thomlinson family (Blencogo Hall appears to have been in their hands by early 17th century); belonged to George Reay 1901.
Places of worship:
mission hall at Leegate opened 1888 (closed and converted to dwelling).
Schools and other institutions:
school, founded and endowed by George Dixon 1854; now used as Blencogo & District Village Hall.