CP in Barton ancient parish, West ward, Westmorland, comprising townships of High Barton and Low Winder. Barton Fell added to CP 1935 (previously divided between Sockbridge and Barton CPs).
Barton CP contained 2,797 acres [1,132 ha], divided between former townships thus: High Barton: 2,569 acres [1,040 ha]; Low Winder: 301 acres [122 ha]. Barton Fell covered 1,718 acres [695 ha].
fluctuating in range 250-350 across 19th and 20th centuries, with peak of 388 in 1921; stood at 232 in 2001.
manor of Barton passed from Lancaster family (barons of Kendal) to Multons of Gilsland, then by marriage to Dacres, before being sold to Sir Christopher Musgrave of Edenhall in late 17th century; later purchased from Musgraves by Hasells of Dalemain.
predominantly agricultural until 19th century; focal point was Pooley Bridge, where fish market was held (had ceased by 1860) and two livestock fairs (one for sheep, cattle and horses in September; one for tups (rams) in October); both still held 1885. Tourism increasingly important by later 19th century: paddle steamers calling at pier at Pooley Bridge from 1859; hotels, lodging houses and pleasure boats by 1885.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Michael; most recently restored 1904. St Paul’s chapel of ease, Pooley Bridge, built by subscription 1867-8.
Schools and other institutions:
free endowed grammar school, founded 1648 by Gerard Langbaine, provost of Queen’s College, Oxford; became public elementary school in new premises c.1873 (closed; converted to dwelling). Parkin Memorial Hall, Pooley Bridge, built 1911.