Hamlet in Beetham parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland, which became separate CP 1897.
Acreage: CP contained 2,489 acres [1,007 ha].
Population: ‘a mere handful’ before construction of Ulverston & Lancaster Railway 1857. Small coastal resort developed close to railway station and population had risen to 844 by 1901. Continued to rise across 20th century, reaching 1,678 by 1921 and 2,301 by 2001.
Landownership: part of manor of Beetham (q.v.)
Economy: rural (farming; fishing; salt-making) until mid-19th century; limestone quarrying and lime-burning in mid-19th century. Pier built 1860 after railway viaduct barred navigation upstream (rebuilt 1984). Resort function grew quickly in later 19th century: refreshment rooms, boating, boarding houses and two hotels by 1880s. Holiday camp at Far Arnside for Leeds Poor Children opened 1905; rebuilt 1919; demolished 2000.
Places of worship: St James’ Church built 1864-6; enlarged 1884 and 1905 and again 1914. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1875; extended 1888; new nave built 1899-1900. Cemetery with mortuary chapel, 1904. Our Lady of Lourdes RC church converted from former National school 1977.
Schools and other institutions: British school, Church Hill, built 1873; now Arnside Educational Institute. National school built 1880; moved to new site on Church Hill (now Arnside National CE School). Private schools, including Wesleyan boarding school at Earnseat by 1885; re-established 1900; closed 1979. Institute (containing reading room, billiard room, lecture room and small gymnasium) built 1890. Women’s Institute and Village Hall, Orchard Road, built 1928.