Corkickle Brake - Background

Corkickle Brake

From 1881 the Corkickle Brake waggonway ran to one of the Earl of Lonsdale's collieries.  Later it was used for hauling sulphuric acid

At Corkickle, near Whitehaven, from1881, there was an inclined plane waggonway, called the Corkickle Brake, which ran to one of the Earl of Lonsdale's collieries, Later it was taken over by the chemical company Marchon Products for hauling sulphuric acid from the mainline to their factory.  The line closed in 1986. For more information, see the Cumbria Railways website, from which the above image comes

 

posted by Bill Shannon